Sunday, August 7, 2011

Talk to Me, Please

Route: from Golani jct to Mitspe (Tiberias)
Distance: 10.6 km / 6.5 miles
Time waited: 10 minutes

The story: I was heading up north to meet my co-pilot for a day of fun (and the 1990s) in Tiberias. I'd been longing for the Kinneret all year, and was looking forward to swimming in the lake. The direct bus to Tiberias was full, so I had to take a bus to Golani junction, where I could easily hitch the rest of the way.

After lathering up with sunscreen, I stuck out my hand and waited. Eventually, a middle-aged gentleman picked me up, and offered to take me to Mitspe, which is upper Tiberias. Perfecto.

As we drove, he started asking me what I do, where I live, where I'm going... the type of questions I usually ask! I told him I was in a Museum Studies program he immediately told me about his experiences with museums. He'd gone with his family to a large children's museum in Europe, and had had a blast. Things to touch, see, manipulate and experiences. Never a dull moment. Then, they went to an "adult" museum, and everyone was falling asleep. His conclusion: museums need to be made more interactive, audience-friendly, and fun, including for adults.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

No comments: