Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cramped in the Back

Route: Almog jct to Beit HaArava jct
Distance: 4 km / 2.5 miles
Time Waited: 8 minutes

The Story: Due to new traffic arrangements in Jerusalem, I have no choice but to take the bus to Almog, and hitch a ride from there. I also consider it a safety precaution, since the bus whizzes past the exits to Ramallah and Jericho. I was heading to my Yom Kippur camping spot.

I got off the bus, and met my co-travelers: a hippy, free-spirited teen couple. The girl wasn't exactly dressed for a desert outing, and the guy's fisherman pants were barely tied up. I had no answer when they asked where they could find bread. No fasting for these folks. It was hot. Very hot. The guy "stands," and I sit in the shade of the bus stop with the girl. Suddenly she called out, "maybe we should fast." He looked at her like he suddenly realized he'd been dating an alien. She continued: "we don't have any food anyways." He responded, "we have food." She was determined, "yes, but why did you bring only 1 can of corn but 5 cans of tuna?" He replied, "tuna is more filling." This ends the conversation, although it was still unclear where they'd find food.

The driver who stopped took us a very short distance. The three of us crammed into the back seat and I let them do the talking. My favorite are long rides,when the driver is willing, even anxious, to talk. I dislike short (functional) rides in full cars. Especially when trying to avoid impaling myself with my tent poles in the tiny back seat.

No comments: