Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's the Moustache, Stupid!

Route: From Gedera to Jerusalem
Distance: 50 km / 31 miles
Time Waited: 45 minutes

The Story: I ended up waiting longer than expected, but was nonetheless glad for the previous ride. While waiting, I'd toyed with trying to get to Abu Gosh for some Shabbat-afternoon hummus, but decided that any efforts would be futile and frustrating. I would just hope really hard and play along with whatever came my way.

Eventually, a station wagon pulled up. Moustached Dad at the wheel, Bleached Mom riding shotgun, and Antsy Kid sitting in the back. After buckling up I noticed that the car was emitting a super-annoying beeping sound, that just kept going. Apparently they were inured to it.

While Dad bore a striking resemblance to Thomas Friedman, that's all that can be said. He didn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed, although he answered his son's questions regarding IQ with great detail. I think it was more the way he barked out his words, while mom remained silent the entire ride.

When it became clear they were not Jerusalemites, it struck me as slightly odd that they'd be heading into town Saturday afternoon, as the weekend was coming to an end. Dad proudly informed me that they were en route to visit their two older kids, who study and live at the Israel Arts and Science Academy. They dropped me off at the entrance to the city, and I continued reading Moon Palace while waiting for three stars to become visible, indicating the renewal of bus service.

No comments: