Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Elevator Technicians and Hanuka.... A Coincidence?!?

Route: From Baram to Koach jct
Distance: 26 km / 16 miles
Time Waited: 6 minutes

The Story: I'd finished a killer hike by 10am and needed to get back to Jerusalem in time for a wedding. Except there I was, 2.5 km from the Lebanese border. Pretty much as north as I could be. With no cars in sight. Luckily, one of the first cars that passed picked me up. It was a company car, but nevertheless I kindly refused to put my bag in the trunk. Their final destination was Kiryat Shmona - they'd take me to highway 90.

This was probably the most literary and seasonally apposite ride I ever had. The guys were elevator technicians, in charge of the northern region. And it was the 7th day of Hanuka. Sound familiar? Really, what are the chances. Plus, I've had my picture taken with A.B. Yehoshua.

The conversation started off with the regular chitchat. Where I'd been hiking, for how long, where I slept. The guy in the passenger seat pointed out I must have a strong personality to go out alone. We then slid into a whole conversation about doing things alone versus letting other people enrich our lives through sharing experiences. He thought I was 23, so ten points for me. "By 35" he said, "people will be pressuring you to settle down and have kids." Gotta love Israel. Or hate it.


No comments: