Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Can't Touch This

Route: From Metzukei Dragot (Dragot cliffs) to Ein Gedi
Distance: 4 km / 2.5 miles
Time Waited: 10 minutes

The Story: My ego was a little bruised after the previous driver had out-Turked me, but all was good. I was thrilled just to have finally gotten out of Jerusalem. I was waiting at the checkpoint marking everyone's favorite Green Line, which is actually very inconvenient because the bus-stop is not directly on the road. Finally a sun-weathered man driving an open Jeep (plus backseat dog) picked me up.

Most of the time I'm mildly annoyed by short-distance rides. But this was different. While most drivers were racing against the clock (Erev Yom Kippur), my driver was apparently racing against the speed of light, the whole while cracking seeds and telling me about his masseuist career. In typical Israeli manner he calculated his income and pointed out how much free time he had. FYI, working mainly with tourists visiting the Dead Sea, he makes around 400 shekels per massage. Glad to arrive, I hopped out of the car, ready for a day of silence and solitude (except for those loud mangal-ers also camping out).

No comments: