Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Israel is Our Home?

Route: From Koach jct to Rosh Pina
Distance: 19 km / 11.8 miles
Time Waited: 15 minutes

The Story: Last time I hitched from this intersection, I got a ride directly to Tel Aviv. I hoped my Car-ma would come through this time, but I ended up waiting a while, made friends with a 15-year old girl who was also waiting and finally got a ride to Rosh Pina.

I was surprised this driver stopped, because his car had red license plates - police. I asked about this and he replied that he always stops. His uniform indicated he was part of the border police. As we chugged along, we listened to the radio. It was the first day of the current operation in Gaza and Uzi Landau was spewing his ideology over the airwaves. He was advocating making citizenship contingent upon a declaration of loyalty to Israel as a Jewish, Zionist state and completing military or national service. Freedom of speech anyone? Freedom of thought? Apparently not (find Liberman under each season's 'characters' tab).


No comments: