Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hum Dee Dum

Route: From HaSargel jct to HaSharon jct
Distance: 55.5 km / 34.5 miles
Time Waited: 15 minutes

The Story: I'd spent an extended weekend up north, first for work and then visited Matar. I'd interviewed octegenarian ideologues at Ein Shemer on Thursday, spent the night at the Alon HaTavor field school (woohoo employee benefits), and returned to for a conference at the ecological greenhouse on Friday.

Matar almost died a few months ago, and has since been keeping busy with doctors, physical therapy and trying to regain the weight she lost. I was thrilled to see her, and had a blast visiting her kibbutz. I was reminded that other (saner) realities exist in Israel and was introduced to kibbutz rugby (pronounced roogbee in Hebrew) culture. Yizrael's team is Israel's best and has gone undefeated for years. Really, why even bother playing if your best opponent can only reach 45-12.

Why am I telling you all this? Because the guy who picked me up didn't really want to talk, real conversations or otherwise. It was a total bore. Boohoo.

No comments: